recorded subtitles

pe3k

hello,

I have a problem with captured subtitiles. Whenever a program transmits subtitles on page 777 it records the subtitles but there are wrong characters on places like á é č š and so on.. I tried to fix it by choosing a different font and making sure Central European option is set but it didn't help.

Guest Lars_MQ

So??? Would you like to share which language and which channel you record? These characters do eventually appear in french or east european languages.

Oh and tell us which Version of the DVBViewer you use.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an almost similar problem.

I record in PS format with teletext subtitles. Files

program name.mpg

program name.srt

appear but the .srt file is not correctly formatted,

the frame rate line is missing at the beginning and few square blocks

appear in every subtitle line recorded. What could cause this? Recorded from Finnish YLE1 station:

00:00:00,265 --> 00:00:00,875

00:00:00,875 --> 00:00:07,656

Kuvasin siinä vain

Georgen erilaiset mielentilat.

00:00:07,656 --> 00:00:09,359

00:00:09,359 --> 00:00:15,890

Välillä hän oli tavatessamme

todella leikkisällä päällä.

00:00:15,890 --> 00:00:17,031

And here is how they should be, these are working divx subtitles downloaded from some website:

00:00:00,042 --> 00:00:00,042

00:00:18,060 --> 00:00:22,439

- Mitä tapahtuu? - Se on meidän Venäjän ryhmä

kansainvälisellä avaruusasemalla.

00:00:22,481 --> 00:00:24,858

He siirtyvät kiertoradalla välttääkseen

pirstaleita, -

00:00:24,900 --> 00:00:28,737

joita tuli pienestä välikohtauksestamme

Etelämantereella.

I have an almost similar problem.

I record in PS format with teletext subtitles. Files

program name.mpg

program name.srt

appear but the .srt file is not correctly formatted,

the frame rate line is missing at the beginning and few square blocks

appear in every subtitle line recorded. What could cause this?

I know this is not an exact answer to your question, but a suggestion to circumvent the problem:

Try recording in ts-format with Settings->Options->Recorder->"teletext" activated.

The mpg- and srt-files can be obtained from the recorded ts-file by demultiplexing with projectx, for example. It takes two mouse clicks to do this, and only one or two minutes of wall clock time depending on the file size.

Regards,

emmel

The mpg- and srt-files can be obtained from the recorded ts-file by demultiplexing with projectx, for example. It takes two mouse clicks to do this, and only one or two minutes of wall clock time depending on the file size.

Regards,

emmel

Thanks for the suggestion, I also believe it would work that way.

However, as it already is very close from working(take squares out and add the fps number) I really would like to just burn a data dvd-rw with the .mpg and .srt and insert that disc to a mediatek chipset dvd-player. That way I would get subtitles with absolutely no hassle from DVBViewer to a dvd-player. >_<

YLE does not include time code in their teletext subtitles, so you need to create it when demuxing with ProjectX. There is a checkbox in ProjectX preferences.

If this is not done the dvd player shows all subtitles during the first seconds of the recording.

YLE's explanation about missing time code is that the whole teletext subtitling is a temporary short-time solution for countryside customers who use an old satellite box.

YLE does not include time code in their teletext subtitles, so you need to create it when demuxing with ProjectX. There is a checkbox in ProjectX preferences.

If this is not done the dvd player shows all subtitles during the first seconds of the recording.

YLE's explanation about missing time code is that the whole teletext subtitling is a temporary short-time solution for countryside customers who use an old satellite box.

Aargh so its YLE's fault then completely, thanks for clearing it out! Exactly that happens, all text are shown at once... I have to manually add the fps line and change all subtitle lines +1, which is really no good.

Why the hell does YLE have to stick with dvb-subtitles, causes nothing but problems and difficulties to end users. Teletext looks nicer, is lighter bitwise and much more tested in many cases.

Why the hell does YLE have to stick with dvb-subtitles, causes nothing but problems and difficulties to end users. Teletext looks nicer, is lighter bitwise and much more tested in many cases.

According to an EBU recommendation all new subtitle systems should be implemented as dvb_subtitles.

According to an EBU recommendation all new subtitle systems should be implemented as dvb_subtitles.

Ok, I guess I'll just have to accept this one. However, its hard to see what is the point and positive side of this decision.

I agree with EBU, all new subtitling systems should be based on modern standards.

[offtopic]

I only wonder, why the dvb-subtitles have to be sent as pixmaps, in europe at least? The dvb-standard allows subtitle object coding with character strings as well. The user could then easily adjust the visual representation of the subs, instead of watching a rough fixed bitmap. Just wondering... :)

[/offtopic]

Yep lets hope they someday drop the bitmap subtitles.

However the original YLE teletext subtitle problem got solved, by using Subtitle Workshop and its automatic subtitle correcting, the recorded srt file can easily be fixed so its error free.

aiwa2001:

In ProjectX PreSettings/Subtitle just check the box 're-build TTX-PTS...'

and you get a perfect timing automatically.

emmel:

I guess the broadcasting companies are using their old analog-era subtitling machines which produce bitmaps. Just a guess.

Edited by jouko999
I guess the broadcasting companies are using their old analog-era subtitling machines which produce bitmaps. Just a guess.

Of course the bitmap is a sort of character-set-independent way of transmitting the subs, as then there is no room for the receiver to make any misinterpretations. But still, they have to have the text in ascii format also, at least somewhere in the production chain. Anyways, its relatively easy in both ways to create the subtitle stream.

There is a Nordic pay-tv provider that uses dvb-subs in their hdtv-transmissions. The picture is 1080i, and their subs strictly obey the sdtv-standard with the maximum of 720 pixels on each line. Normally only about 50% of the max is used, which means that one single line contains approx. 300 pixels of text data. Threfore upscaling of 300% to 400% is required. After that, the text looks really "nice" with respect to the high definition picture... I really would like to have the char. coding as an option for the subs... :rolleyes:

aiwa2001:

In ProjectX  PreSettings/Subtitle just check the box 're-build TTX-PTS...'

and you get a perfect timing automatically.

Yes but my whole point was not to use projectx at all.

It is now possible as I can record from DVBViewer in PS format and get the faulty .srt subtitle file. The srt problem is then solved by starting Subtitle Workshop which fixes the srt file in few seconds. Then I just burn PS-mpg and the srt and play the disc in dvd-player. Much much simpler and faster than using projectx!