Using new video codecs

sgauntlett

Certain French broadcasters and others have hinted a possible move to H.264 or WM9 for HD broadcasts in the future. Can we use a filter graph and SkyAVC to feed into a non-MPEG-2 decoding filter?

I think I remember Euro1080 playing around with WM9 when they started broadcasting, did anyone get that working?

Can we use a filter graph and SkyAVC to feed into a non-MPEG-2 decoding filter?

No. The source filter output pins are configured for MPEG2 media formats, as far as I know, so they won't connect to other stuff. The ones of the DVBViewer Filter resp. the MS Demuxer won't for sure. But maybe Marfi the Magician can do something...

P.S. Another possibility would be to first record the HD broadcasts as TS (with DVBViewer full version & VRPlugin)... and then find some software that is able to demux and convert it. Maybe ProjectX is already capable of doing it - don't know.

Edited by Griga

The VRPlugin gets the transport stream from the SkyStar2 driver (passed through by the SkyAVC source filter or the DVBViewer). The packets are filtered according to the PIDs selected by the user, and written to disk. That's all. No further processing. Original raw data from satellite. Everything that is broadcasted can be recorded in this way.

Thanks Griga.

So could I use the SkyAVC or DVBViewer filter in a graph to take a transport stream output and pass it to some other filters?

Which pin gives the transport stream ouput....data?

Cheers

So could I use the SkyAVC or DVBViewer filter in a graph to take a transport stream output and pass it to some other filters?

Yes, if you are a skillful programmer & DVB expert, and know how to retrieve data from the SkyAVC (Marfi provides a SDK for it) and to feed it back into a DirectShow Graph. AFAIK it isn't possible to simply connect the source filter to an WM9 HD decoder, at least not without some programming. Maybe only Marfi can do it properly...

Contact Crypto, the author of DVBPortal. Since his program totally relies on Marfi's filter, he's an expert concerning these things - maybe he knows more.

As far as it concerns the DVBViewer Filter - it can be used to feed any data into a DirectShow Graph. However, one has to feed the DVBViewer Filter first, which means, retrieving the data from the SkyStar2 driver (in contrast to Marfi's Filter, which does it by itself) and configure its output pin (heavy programming again...). And it won't work without a Demultiplexer Filter for WM9... have you got one? Seemingly the MS Demultiplexer only supports MPEG2: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....multiplexer.asp

Thanks very much for the help Griga.

I will have a play around. Hopefully, if these services using newer compressions start broadcasting then some of these tools will become available.

cheers

Edited by sgauntlett
  • 1 month later...