New additional EPG in the next Version ;)

Guest hackbart

Guest hackbart

Hey,

in the next days i'll add a new cool feature into the main program. I suppose you all know the EPG with it's functions: EPG for one channel, resp. what's now. The new feature renders all upcoming events in a graphical timebar.

At the moment i'm not sure about the colors, but it automaticly detects the type of event (if the broadcaster is sending the proper description) and renders it in a unique way.

Christian ;)

post-8-1090097380_thumb.png

Guest Lars_MQ

I think these kind of display is quite nice ;)

it contains more information than the normal epg, but of course it's a matter of taste...

By the way, there will be also a OSD Version of this display ;)

I think it's a good idea. I hope that you programm the new egp-info-window for the osd, too?!

I think it would be better if you design the window like a real tv guide (e.g. TV Spielfilm, TV Movie, etc.): you can see the channel names at the top and in the coloms the events.

The channel names should be in a sequence as in a normal tv guide (ARD, ZDF, Sat.1, RTL,....) or in the sequence you have in your channel list.

sorry for my bad english ;)

Guest Lars_MQ

Well, the channels are in the sequence of your channellist.

That's the only way it will work, because you can't dictate the people the sequence like a TV guide, the DVBViewer is used not only in germany, how should the sorting be managed ;)

i would never kick the old solution,

I'm glad to read it. The time bar representation takes an awful lot of space. It doesn't use it economically - consider all the scrolling for a 5 days EPG overview.. .(*shudder*).

Guest Lars_MQ
It doesn't use it economically - consider all the scrolling for a 5 days EPG overview.. .(*shudder*).

Well not economically, but you can see with one look, how awfull the TV-Programm is on 8 channels in the next 2 hours ;)

just joking ;)

Guest Lars_MQ

@ sascha

that's strange, it has the same sorting as your channeldisplay (as far as I know).

The new EPG View will, like the old one, only show Channels where there is EPG-data is present. Each Channel with no EPG will be ignored. It would make no sense to show a channel with no epg in such kind of overview ;)

Guest Lars_MQ
Well, you can't see much with one look, that's the point.

*g* well it's like everything. It is one more step to make the DVBViewer more comfortable. Some may like the new EPG View, some not. But nobody HAS to use it. If you're happy with all the other features of the DVBViewer, well, where is the problem? ;)

Edited by Lars_MQ
Guest hackbart

well, to be honest i'm just a visual type of person. I prefer the simplest display instead of a listed table. I suppose a couple of people would like to have such a display too. Anyhow i promise that i won't change too much inside the epg window. My plan for tomorrow is either to replace the What's Now button with a new one which lists the three display types (Channel, What's Now, new EPG) or do solve it in the way i found while sleeping tonight ;)

Christian

My plan for tomorrow is either to replace the What's Now button with a new one which lists the three display types (Channel, What's Now, new EPG)

That's a good idea. I'll like it.

I have an additional idea. It would be nice if i could sort the stations by Drag&Drop.

On this way i could view my most viewed stations on one view!

Steffen

Hi Christian,

Very cool, I like the time-line EPG. But how can it be done? Does the EPG tune into different channels to collect the data, or are you using the Technisat EPG or another multi-channel EPG source?

Does the EPG tune into different channels to collect the data

No. The DVBViewer just collects the data from all transponders tuned by the user and writes it to a file when it terminates.

New EPG, very nice news!

For the data source, what about MHW? At least for italian users it would be a great improvement, a 7 day full schedule of the primary italian channels (RAI & Mediaset) was inside Sky's MHW... You can have a look at it with SkyViewer...

I'm tolding this because I'm experimenting MHW from some time ago: I download a XMLTV file with PMCam (I use it only for this task!) or with TSReader (from v. 2.4 it has a MHW->XMLTV downloader, but with TSR free version the file was limited to 24h...), some data correction with Word and visualizing it with myHTPC... very nice result, but poor "operability"...

I would have test also TVHolic, that seem very flexible, buy until now I had some .NET configuration problem and too much little spare time...

Please consider also some more filtering (or ordering) capability (namely by type of event...)

"thanks thousands"

Gioxy

Edited by Gioxy
Guest hackbart

Hmm, there is some additional tool which will be published after the new version is oficially released. This program allows to receive epg lists from the internet - mainly for german broadcasters atm., but i suppose it can be simply enhanced for others..

Christian

Guest Lars_MQ

well maybe this little tool christian mentioned will work with xmltv, the chances are not that bad ;) But like the other great improvements, it will have to wait till the next release...

lars

sure, i would never kick the old solution

.....what's with the old buttons which were kicked in the last release??

pls. don't forget it ;)

Guest Lars_MQ

Well yes, you select the programm, you want to record and press the blue button :-)

I tested it just now - it works like a charm :bye:

I'm not shure, if I should take the pre (vorlauf) and post recording times of the DVBViewer into account. I think it would be better if I do...

lars

Edited by Lars_MQ
I'm not shure if I should take the pre (vorlauf) and post recording times of the DVBViewer into account. I think it would be better if I do...

Yes, it would be better

I think, the next Version of the Viewer will be really good... :bye:

...one more question: Can I recognize the programmed broadcastings in that EPG (e.g. a border around that entry or a timeline for the PVR like the timeline of the other stations)??

Guest Lars_MQ

hmm the display is getting a little bit crowded I think :bye:

But maby a little red REC Symbol in the lower right corner of the entries will work?

I'm not sure if I can do it, because of repeating timers, pre and post roll etc, the complete timersection has to be mapped to the epg and there are serveral pitfalls, which can lead to a wrong display.

I'll try what I can do.

lars

Edited by Lars_MQ

You must not do it. It was only a little question. It's good, that the Viewer gets a better OSD. That's enough.

Edited by Hartwig

Hi developers of that new EPG view,

May I suggest you another layout?

I saw so much unused (wasted) space in the screenshots so I think it would maybe better (more effective) if you use one column for each tv station and the rows for the timeline.

advantage one is, you could see more stations at once. (screen is wider than high)

adv. two is, you fill the most space of each movie/broadcast with its name/title.

Only just my 2 c€nt.

NameIt

:)

Guest Lars_MQ

I'm not shure, if you really get more information, my guess, you get more for each program but overall seen less per "page".

The OSD-Version has to take into account that a normal TV display only has ~ 720 x 576 pixel. So you have to be carefull with the fontsize, otherwise it won't be readable for the couchpotatos :)

lars

Guest hackbart

Well everything is possible with the new OSD interface (even if i think it sucks a bit, since it is quite confusing :)).

In theory it is even possible to create a tv genial like display, even with images of events.

But before this plugin project might be started i suppose it is much more better to release a new version, to allow a wide range of users playing with several new plugins. This way helps to solve bugs which are probably undetected since only a hand full of beta testers are playing with these things.

The new release is not too far away, because i only have one feature to add which i think is quite important: Offering as much quality for blind users than possible.

After this i go into feature freeze and fix the few open mentioned problems at http://www.DVBViewer.com/forum/index.php?showforum=25.

I'm quite optimistic that i will upload the new 2.2 version within this month - anyhow after i got the okay from my betatesters ;)

Christian

PS: EPG Thingy plugin in action:

post-8-1090786557_thumb.jpg

Guest hackbart

erm, isn't beautiful? well i really like it, because you can easily program your vcr in a quite fast manner. Even if a tv paper like style looks more neat, after you have to stay informed with more than a hand full of tv stations you get confused...

Christian

PS: As i said, it's just a plugin so you don't need to use it..

sorry, but i have to speak german :)

Warum versuchst du es nicht wenigstens einmal so zu gestalten, wie eine Fernsehzeitung, Christian? Mach es doch einfach mal und dann poste nen Screenshot ;)

Guest hackbart

as i already said: It is just a plugin and before Lars resp. i start(s) building another plugin i better complete this release.

Wie schon gesagt: Es ist doch nur ein Plugin und bevor Lars bzw. ich ein weiteres Plugin zusammenschustern, ist es wahrscheinlich besser erst das aktuelle Release fertigzustellen.

Christian

I find it so OK. If I want to show it like a TV guide and time-synchronous, then it will be also fast unclearly. If the programs are indicated in lines, it is more orderly with a time-synchronous view.

Guest Lars_MQ

I agree with christian. we stay where we are and try to get this working and released.

after all is released and working satisfactory, I will start to think about new plugins, gimmics and stuff.

@sascha

das ist nicht mal schnell zusamengeklickt, das braucht verdammt viel arbeit und zeit, sowas zu schreiben...

lars

das braucht verdammt viel arbeit und zeit, sowas zu schreiben...

it takes a whole lot of work to write something like that

I can confirm that. I've seen the timeline EPG DVBViewer code (as usual proof-reading, error-correcting and re-writing a part that didn't work well was up to me). It is a tricky, complex thing. I was glad that I didn't have to write all of it.

So I think, it should be released as it is. Changes may come later... first it should be discussed here in the board after having experienced the look and feel.

Edited by Griga