DVBserver client policy/priority suggestion.

gibman

It seems like the DVBserver locks its channel(s)/transponder to the first client connected.

Other clients connecting later on can now only tune into the same channel as the first client has tuned in or channels on the same transponder.

(Ofcourse it would be cool if DVBserver could service multi hardware DVB-x devices, like the latest DVBViewer BETA release can.)

My main suggestion is this;

You could implement a few "client channel lock" specific policies.

On my setup I have a server that runs dvbserver.

I also have 3 clients using this dvbserver as its main source.

I usually do my sheduled recordings on my server with a local running instance of DVBV. that connects to DVBserver localhost-style.

The problem is that if someone in my house is watching TV on a random client -thus locking the DVBserver to a specific transponder to the rest of the clients, then when my server is trying to start a scheduled recording it wont succeed b/c the channel is locked by another client - schedule gone bad.

It would be cool if we could have a list of IP adresses and/or PC network names within dvbserver making it possible to move the items up and down in the list.

The topmost would have the highest priority.

The GUI could look like this

192.168.1.2 server up/down enable/disable

192.168.1.3 laptop up/down enable/disable

192.168.1.4 workst1 up/down enable/disable

192.168.1.5 workst2 up/down enable/disable

enable/disable = checkbox

up/down = arrow buttons

192.168.1.x = textbox

pcname=textbox

If a client is not in the list or if it has been disabled on the policy list then it means that it should work like the way DVBserver is working right now.

I think this would improve the DVB sharing features of DVBViewer - and it seems like an easy way to implement it.

As things are now, I am doing this manually.

When I look in the dvbserver log I get this message;

"Server locked, by DVBViewer application!"

This is dvbserver telling me that the transponder has been locked by another DVBViewer client attached to the server.

If I run dvbV on workst1 tunning into a channel.

Now I start the dvbV on the server tunning into a channel on a different transponder, although the channel running on workst1 is still running ?

Ok, then I turn my eyes towards the dvbV instance running on the server. It is just showing nothing - no sound or video.

I guess this is the way it works for now ?

The first client connected is the boss choosing what transponder to share to the other clients, until the boss client disconnects.

User-definable Priorities would be a nice addition.

/Elo

Edited by gibman